Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find New York street art?
New York City is home to a vibrant street art scene, with a wide range of styles and mediums represented. Some of the best places to find street art in New York include:
1. The Lower East Side: This neighborhood is known for its street art, graffiti, and murals. Some notable locations include the Bowery Wall, the Houston Bowery Wall, and the Ludlow Street Wall.
2. Brooklyn: Brooklyn is home to a number of street art hotspots, including the Bushwick Collective, a neighborhood that features over 100 murals and street artworks. Other locations include the 5 Pointz and the Brooklyn Street Art.
3. Harlem: Harlem is home to a number of historic murals and street artworks, including the Harlem Mural Project, which features over 50 murals by local artists.
4. The Bronx: The Bronx is home to a number of murals and street artworks, including the Graffiti Hall of Fame and the "The Point" mural project.
Queens: Street art is found in many locations in Queens, including the Welling Court Mural Project and the 5 Pointz.
5. Manhattan: Some of the notable street art locations in Manhattan include the High Line Park, the Union Square Park and the Meatpacking District.
These are just a few examples of places where you can find street art in New York City. Keep in mind that street art is often temporary, so it's a good idea to check online to see what's currently on view, and to explore different neighborhoods to discover new and exciting artworks.
When did New York City graffiti become street art?
New York City graffiti began to evolve into street art in the 1970s and 1980s. The origins of graffiti can be traced back to the early 1960s, when young people in the city began to use spray paint and markers to write their names and messages on subway trains and public buildings. This early graffiti was primarily focused on writing, or "tagging," and was often seen as vandalism.
In the 1970s, a new generation of graffiti artists began to emerge in New York City. These artists began to use more complex imagery and techniques, and their work began to be seen as a form of public art. They started to use the city's walls, buildings and trains as their canvas, and started to create more elaborate and expressive works. The work of these artists, such as Jean-Michel Basquiat and Keith Haring, began to gain recognition and acceptance as a legitimate form of public art.
During the 1980s, graffiti art continued to evolve and gain popularity, and many of the artists began to be commissioned to create murals and other works for public spaces. This is when it started to be recognized as street art. Street art is a term that refers to a range of forms of public art that includes graffiti, murals, stickers, and other forms of visual expression.
The term street art is generally used to describe artworks that are created in public spaces and are not typically found in galleries or museums, whereas graffiti is considered to be a more specific form of street art that involves writing or tagging. Today, many artists who began their careers as graffiti writers have become respected street artists, and their work can be found in galleries and museums around the world.
Where can I find street art painters in New York?
There are several ways to find street art painters in New York City:
1. Visit street art hotspots: Some of the best places to find street art in New York include the Lower East Side, Brooklyn, Harlem, the Bronx, Queens, and Manhattan. Many street artists work in these neighborhoods, so visiting these areas will give you a chance to see their work and potentially meet them in person.
2. Check online: Many street artists have websites, social media accounts, or online portfolios where you can see their work and contact them. Some of them may also be listed on directory websites or platforms like Book An Artist.
3. Attend art events and festivals: Many street artists participate in art events and festivals around the city. Attending these events and festivals will give you a chance to see their work and potentially meet them in person.
4. Visit galleries and art districts: Some street artists may have their work displayed in galleries or art districts. Visiting these locations will give you a chance to see their work and potentially meet them in person.
5. Ask locals: Ask locals about street artists and street art in the neighborhoods you're visiting. They might have good tips and recommendations.
Keep in mind that street art is often temporary, so it's a good idea to check online to see what's currently on view, and to explore different neighborhoods to discover new and exciting artists.
How much does it cost to hire a mural artist in New York?
The cost to hire a mural artist in New York City can vary greatly depending on a number of factors such as:
1. The size and complexity of the mural: The larger and more complex the mural, the more it will cost.
2. The artist's experience and reputation: More experienced and well-known artists will typically charge more than less established or less experienced artists.
3. The location of the mural: Some locations may require additional costs such as permits or safety equipment.
4. The materials used: The cost of the materials can vary depending on the surface, the type of paint, and the artist's preference.
A small-scale mural or a simple design on a small surface can cost around $1000 to $3000. A mural of medium size and complexity can range from $3000 to $10,000, and a large-scale mural can cost $10,000 to $50,000 or even more. However, the cost can be higher for a well-known or highly acclaimed artist, or for a mural that requires special materials or equipment.
It's important to keep in mind that the cost of a mural can vary widely depending on the artist, the location and the complexity of the project. The best way to get an accurate estimate is to contact the artist and discuss your project with them. Some artists may be willing to work within a specific budget, but others may have a set rate for their work.
NYC Muralists, Graffiti Artists & Street Artists
New York has always been considered to be ahead of the curve regarding the modern street art scene. Graffiti and street art originated in New York as a creative outlet for youths, especially young boys. In 1965, Darryl "Cornbread" McCray unknowingly became the world's first modern graffiti artist at twelve. As predicted, McCray was a big fan of cornbread and took to the streets to tag his new nickname across the city. The newfound love for spray painting prevented young boys such as Cornbread from getting involved with illegal activities. The scene quickly grew, and those involved created an unspoken competition to build their reputations. Tagging hard to reach places, tall buildings or locked up abandoned properties became the canvases for graffiti artists to impress their friends. Eventually, there was a crackdown on graffiti in New York. Authorities policed graffiti wall street art hard as it was associated with crime, vandalism and illegal goings-on. Subway transit was either thoroughly cleaned of all New York graffiti or replaced entirely.
Hire Street Artists in New York Today
Discover the best graffiti artists near me in New York City. Book an Artist connects local NYC street artists to you by a click of the mouse to bring you the artists you need for your projects. Whether you want original, pre-made or custom-designed graffiti and murals, Book an Artist supports hundreds of local artists by simplifying the process of hiring muralists and spray paint artists.
Hiring NYC graffiti artists and muralists is easy at Book an Artist! Once you’ve selected 1 – 3 mural artists, you can send them a message. Find the best New York graffiti and spray paint artists today. Alternatively, browse graffiti artists in the United States
that are available.
Best New York Graffiti Artist Jobs
Mural painter jobs in New York can be found through social media, but it can be time consuming and uncertain. Book An Artist provides an easy, safe and practical way to get commissions. There are many NYC mural painting jobs, canvas painting jobs or design jobs accessible to artists who have filtered for them on their personalised profiles. Local NY Artists are able to apply for any of these jobs. The client will hire an artist based on their requirements and budget. Wall art jobs come in all shapes and sizes, regardless your work begins before you even hit the wall. We’re here to help you navigate the tricky waters of business management whilst simultaneously providing you with new and exciting job opportunities. Should something go wrong with a commission or service, we’re here to help you!
Search for "Graffiti Mural Artist" or "graffiti artist nyc"
Welcome to Book an Artist, your portal to the dynamic world of graffiti mural art in New York. Our platform connects you with verified graffiti artists near you. Explore their portfolios and discover the perfect graffiti artist NYC to bring your artistic vision to life. Whether you seek bold graffiti artist in New York or intricate mural creations, our talented professionals have you covered. Find the best graffiti painters for hire in NYC and collaborate with artists who understand the vibrant pulse of the city. With Book an Artist, you're just a click away from turning your space into a work of art. Explore our curated selection today!